Why not get out the mixing bowl and treat your dog to the PAWfect birthday cake.
Dogs are part of the family and it’s great to spoil them with a special cake when it’s their birthday.
Also, you don’t have to be a great baker. The really great thing about making a homemade birthday cake for your dog is they won’t judge you on how it looks.
MyPawsOn.com have compiled a couple of our favourite recipes for birthday cakes for dogs that you can make at home to make your best friends day just PAWfect.
PEANUT BUTTER & CARROT CAKE
This is a really easy recipe and makes a tasty treat to celebrate your four legged friend’s special day. It replaces sugars with peanut butter and honey and uses vegetable oil instead of butter to make it a healthier option for your dog. Why not make it extra special and use a bone shaped cake tin?
- 1 large egg
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 80g peanut butter
- 80g honey
- 135g grated carrots (plus extra for decoration)
- 150g wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease a cake tin with a little of the oil.
- Combine the egg, oil, peanut butter, honey, milk and vanilla extract in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the carrots and mix again.
- Sift together the flour and bicarbonate of soda and fold into the mixture making sure you get an even mix of the carrots.
- Spoon cake mixture into the pre-prepared tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 170 C / Gas 3 and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes; then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Cut any spare carrot into thin batons to spell out your dog’s name to decorate the cake. If you have a spiralizer you can get better results as the carrots are easier to bend into shapes. (Most supermarkets now sell Carrot spaghetti and this is a very easy option).
BURGER CAKE FOR MEAT LOVING DOGS
A meaty alternative to give your dog would be to make a giant burger cake. This couldn’t be easier and your pooch will be delighted with the results.
INGREDIENTS (makes 4 burgers)
- 500g lean mince
- 50g frozen peas
- 2 finely diced or grated carrots
- 1 egg
- *Cheese and/or dog biscuits to decorate (optional)
*If you use squeezy cheese you can add a personal message for your dog
- Just take the pack of raw mince and mix in a bowl with an egg. Dogs don’t need salt and pepper so there is no need to season the mince and don’t be tempted to add onions (which are poisonous for dogs).
- Add the grated carrots and frozen peas and mix well.
- Press the beef mixture into a burger shape. About 1-2 cm deep should be fine.
- Cook the burger cakes in the oven for around 30-40 minutes at 180 C / gas 4 or fry on a medium heat for 15-20 mins.
- When cool, you can stack the burgers and decorate with a little cheese or top with some crunchy dog biscuits to complete the cake.
However, you could always cheat and buy 2 burgers and press in some peas. Shush …. The dog will never know.
If baking cakes is not for you, why not treat your pooch to some of the cakes on offer on the high street.
Waitrose pet section has a range of cakes just for dogs (waitrosepet.com)
Pets at Home can supply you with dog birthday cakes and surprisingly bottles of “PAWsecco” to make the day go with a bang.
There are also a growing number of dog bakeries that will make you a doggy cake to order. Have a look at some of the listings on the website.